My sister Jennifer and her hubby, Jonathon, live in Des Moines, Iowa while Jonathon attends Drake University for law school. This past weekend I went out for a visit.
I had such a great time! Thank you so much Jonathon and Jennifer for letting me visit. Thanks for playing games after game after game with me. I'm sure you are so sick of games. You both are such a great example to me. I love you!
THURS. 12/11
Met Jonathon and Jennifer at baggage claim at about 2:20pm. I waited patiently for my bag but it never showed up. LOVELY. They said that it might be on the next and last flight, that that didn't arrive until 11:45pm and I was to call around then. Great, just great. I had to pay $15 for it to be checked and it never showed up. I was a bit annoyed, but what could I do? Nothing but be positive and not let it ruin my trip. Besides, I had my skinny sister, I could just squeeze into all her clothes. NOT. We walked out side and I was hit with cold wind and 34* temp. FREEZING! "Welcome to Iowa," Jen said. hahahah. After taking a little sight seeing detour downtown we got home to their cute little townhouse. We played a round of Phase 10 and then decided to go to dinner. After dinner we hit Wal Mart for a few essentials for the night. Then returned home to play more games! I LOVE games! (Ty never plays with me so I had to soak up the opportunity)
Iowa State Capital
At 11:45pm I called U.S Airways (I don't recommend flying with them after all this). No answer. I tried every 3-5 min until finally the last call I thought I would make that night literally laying in bed at 12:21 they answered and said they had my bag. WAHOO! They were going to deliver it in the morning.
FRIDAY 12/12
Jonathon made breakfast for us girls. Ahhh, cute. My bag finally arrived at about 10:30....almost 21hrs too late. Today was Jonathons major study day (finals ya know) so Jen and I got ready and went to see the movie 'Four Christmases'. It was cute, but not as good as I expected it to be. The day was nice, but still temps were around 33*. Cold. Jonathon was still studying when we got home so Jen and I played more games. Yatzee, Phase 10, Mille Borne....it was so much fun! Game after game after game.
After some warm soup for dinner I bundled up with 4 layers to go caroling with Jen. (Jonathon stayed home where it was warm to study. It was a bitter 28*, but it turned out to be fun! We got into the Christmas spirit....cold weather and all.
After caroling we had to warm up with some hot chocolate! Then.....that's right, more games! Jonathon joined us this time.
SATURDAY 12/13
We woke up early and drove 2hrs to Winter Quarter, Nebraska to go to the Winter Quarters temple and visitor center. It was a beautiful day! 55* and clear, so nice! Besides spending time with Jennifer and Jonathon, this was the highlight of my trip. I thoroughly enjoyed walking through the visitor center reading about the pioneers and going to the temple. It was great! The temple was beautiful. Small, but still had the same peaceful feeling inside. It was perfect. We walked around a pioneer cemetery that was on the temple grounds. So sad. Many of them children. Over 600 died at Winter Quarters that winter. What a brutal plague and harsh winter conditions. No after experiencing that bitter cold wind (which actually got much colder than that, into the negatives) I now have a deeper testimony of the pioneers. They had so much faith. Coming to Zion was their trial, many made it, but many died in following the Lords way. They entered into the Salt Lake Valley on July 21, 1847. Prophet Brigham Young entered 3 days later and said, "This is this is the place," what a glorious day that must have been for the pioneers. They started building Zion and the Salt Lake Temple. Completion of the Salt Lake Temple took 40 years!
Replica of the Nauvoo Temple
Replica of the Salt Lake Temple
After returning home, Jonathon did more studying and Jen and I made bread and played more games. That night was their ward Christmas party. It was a nice dinner and I enjoyed meeting a few of their friends. The ward is about 70% young couples and a lot (if not all) are in medical school. Jonathon is the only person in law school in their ward. There are a lot of little kids and babies! they have 3 nursery's! WOW!
I bet you can guess what we did when we got home.....yep, your right! More games!
SUNDAY 12/14
Went to church. it was actually warm outside! 48* at 9:00am! In the meantime while we were in Sacrament meeting, the temp. had dropped! At 10:30am it was only 24* with a bitter, bitter cold wind. SO COLD!
A last few rounds of Phase 10 before leaving for the airport. So sad to leave, but i was glad to head back to warmer weather. When I talked to Tyson, he said that it was cold here too.....only 60* hahaha, I can't wait! Jonathon and Jennifer said that I brought the warm weather with me. It was very unusual to have the weather that we did. They typically have been in the teens and negatives at might and early morning. FREEZING! Now that I left it turned cold again and their week looked like it will be cold with temps around 16*/17* and snow coming.
Bye cold Iowa, hello warm Arizona!
I had such a great time! Thank you so much Jonathon and Jennifer for letting me visit. Thanks for playing games after game after game with me. I'm sure you are so sick of games. You both are such a great example to me. I love you!
2 comments:
What a fun trip for you, you have been very busy lately and on lots of airplanes!! Your sister is very pretty, just like you, it has been so long since I have seen your family! I can understand the excitement to get back to warm weather! Iowa sounds very very cold! But looks like a very fun place to visit!
Cherice,
please come back we are freezing!!! today was -2 all day without including the wind chill, which made it feel about -30!!!!
I promise I'm not sick of game, we have some new ones too!!!
love you!
Post a Comment