Saturday, May 28, 2011

Camping in San Diego

May 22-25

The Hunt family invited us to join them camping in San Diego this past week. It was a bit of a last minute decision (ok, not that last minute. 6 days prior notice) and after having problems with the excursion the day before we were planning on leaving and deciding that we just can't drive the excursion the morning of, we debated whether we were even going to go. But after downsizing ALOT (only taking one tent, no bikes, minimal clothes, no stroller, packing only the basic necessities) we crammed it all into the car and hit the road!














We stayed in a hotel Sunday night which was literally 3 minutes from South Carlsbad State Park (where we camped Monday and Tuesday night). We had such a relaxing vacation. Very low key! We hung out on the beach, roasted mellows, played horseshoes, tossed the football and frisbee, flew kites, made tunnels in the sand, played in the water, picked sand out of our toes and so much more low key things. We really did enjoy it! No Lego land, no Sea World, no crazy schedules, just did whatever we wanted when we wanted! Honestly this was the perfect vacation for Tage. He LOVES the ocean and would rather just play at the beach than do anything else.


Ty and Tage attempting to fly a $2 kite. It wasn't really a success, but good intentions though




Emmry and I played in the rocks watching the boys. It was so cute, Emmry would pick up a rock, look at it carefully, and then either put it in her pile by her feet or back on the ground. She loved it!




First time in the ocean! Emmry is a little fish. She LOVES the water. Warm or cold she doesn't care. She would kick her legs and make sounds when we got close to it.




Picking teams for a short game of horseshoes


Tyson's head got burned the first day so he bought a bandanna.


The Frandsen's used to live here in Arizona but then moved to San Diego 2 years ago. It was fun to meet up with them for a little bit!

















Along the pier in Mission Bay. People would fish off the pier all day long



Pelicans waiting for some free food. I could literally get 4 feet from them until they though I was invading their bubble.




Roasting mellows with the Hunts









































On the way up to the Old Point Loma Lighthouse.....





























.....you pass by Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery in Point Loma Military Base. Oh my what a breathtaking site. It is sobering to see so many service members and their families resting there. So many honorable men and women. Over 91,000 people are buried in Fort Rosecrans. Row after row of perfectly aligned white marble headstones dated back to 1846. I could have spent hours wondering through the 77.5 archers.

































4 comments:

Braden and Julie Reynolds said...

I feel homesick! I used to go camping there and it hasbeen several years since I've been back. I love those lazy trips that truly are relaxing. Your family is cute! Thanks for nice comments the other day, I appreciate that. Glad to be blogging buddies. Maybe we'll meet one day!

Jennifer said...

How fun!! I am sure glad you had some good family time! the best vacations are the super relaxing ones!

Rachael Schepemaker said...

Cherice! You took some amazing photos! Can you tell me the name of the campgrounds you were at?

Jill Stott said...

Looks so fun! Good idea to skip all the tourist traps.