Saturday, January 31, 2009

Basketball Game

Ok, today was Tage's 2nd game. Let's just say it didn't go to well today.

It all started out at breakfast. I'm in a happy, cheerful mood (cuz Moms have to be at 7:30am on a Saturday) and ask Tage if he is excited for his game.
Tage: NO
Mom: why?
Tage: cuz I just don't like it.
Mom: but you are so good at basketball. Last game you did so good, played good defence and were awesome.
Tage: but I just don't like it and its boring.
Mom: how could it be boring? you are running all the time and trying to get the ball...
Tage: well I just don't like it and don't want to go.
Then the crying began.
OK, time for the 'time out' for Mom. At this point I don't know how to react. Do I get mad and just firmly say, "well, your going. like it or not." or do I let him whine and cry and say its OK we don't have to go. Quit because he 'just doesn't like it' on his 2nd game?
After just walking away at that point (for 30min!) and calling Tyson asking him what I should do (he talked to Tage too) I calmly talked to Tage to figure out the whole reason WHY? Come to find out he doesn't like it because he doesn't get the ball! (that's why its boring) Then it hit me...I do remember him saying after last game, "Mom, I just like practices, not the games." HELLOOO?! That's because he has the ball more at practices!!!! DUH!!
Back to our talk....OK Tage, I understand that you want the ball more, but do you realize that there is only ONE ball out there and ALL the kids on the teams too?
I encouraged him that we should still go to the game to support the team and to cheer them on because you are still part of the team, but he could sit out this game. And he was good with that....as long as he didn't have to play!
At this point we were definitely late and got there at half time. I told his coach that he didn't want to play, then slipped a 'try to put him in on the last rotation' hint. Tage sat on the bench with his team and was completely content, cheering them on. Last rotation came......his coach said for him to go out. Tage said 'no', she said 'yep, your out'. That at least got him off the bench. Then the crying began again. She said a few words to him, then I saw a shake of his head saying yes and he sat back down on the bench. Oh well I thought to myself. Then the coach came over to me and said that he had pinky swore that he would play next game. How about each game I thought to myself, next game is going to be a breeze cuz Dad and Grandpa were going to come watch!
I guess we will see how our season goes.

No comments: